07 Aug 2023
Outdoor Tiles for Patio: Ideas and Inspirations
Your patio is not merely an extension of your home, it’s much more. It’s a cosy place where you can unwind after a long day, entertain family and friends, and just bask in the natural beauty of the outdoors. Patios can, however, wear out and lose their charm and attraction over time and start to look boring and lifeless. Outdoor tiles could be the solution you've been looking for if you want to rekindle and transform your patio into a pleasant hideaway. Outdoor floor tiles have several advantages, from enhancing the appearance of your patio to offering durability and longevity. In this blog, we’ll delve into the world of outdoor tiles for walls and floors and discover how they can liven up your patio area and drastically alter your outdoor living environment.
Chose the Right Kind of Material to Set the Base
Selecting the perfect outdoor tile for your patio is the first step and your selection of material has a major role to play in building a striking patio area. Outdoor tiles are available in a wide variety of materials and formats to accommodate various design preferences and practical concerns. Whether your heart inclines towards the ageless natural stone, the modern porcelain or the earthy terracotta, there is a perfect outdoor tile to suit your space and match your lifestyle and pocket. Let's look at some widely used options.
- Natural stones outdoor tiles: Natural stone outdoor floor tile and wall tile come in a range of stunning options such as Travertine, Slatestone, Marble, Limestone and Bluestone, each with its unique characteristics. These premium-quality stones can offer an array of styles to your patio – from stylish sophistication and rustic charm to a more refined elegant look, all depending on your choice of natural stone. They also offer the flexibility to mix and match and use more than one stone to bring a one-of-a-kind look to your patio. Slatestone comes in multichromatic and charcoal hues lending individuality, while Limestone with its minimalist appearance and sleek lines flaunts an air of modern affluence. When it comes to Travertine or Sandstone, nothing can beat their rustic charm, which gives a timeless facelift to your space.
- Porcelain outdoor tiles: When you wish to bring together the combination of tractability and design, porcelain tiles are the perfect solution for that touch of modern charm. They offer a variety of design alternatives by mimicking the appearance of natural stone. Porcelain tiles can complement most patio decors, whether it’s rustic, sleek or contemporary. However, they will not last as long as natural stone.
- Terracotta Tiles: Terracotta tiles bring an earthy and countryside charm with their warm colours and rustic patterns. Their handcrafted patterns give your patio area a pleasant and welcoming feeling. The only downside is that they are not as durable as natural stones and may not support a modern setting.
Enhance the Look with Patterns and Layouts
Outdoor tiles have a myriad of design options for enhancing your patio's beauty. One-of-a-kind and visually appealing looks can be created by mixing different sizes, shapes and arrangements. Let’s explore some design layouts.
- Stunning patterns: Using tiles with beautiful patterns can transform your patio into a striking work of art. Whether it's the trending Moroccan-inspired motif, a simple yet striking herringbone style or a modern geometric pattern, there are plenty of ways you can explore to elevate your patio look from ordinary to spectacular.
- Place the tiles diagonally: The way a tile is laid can make a drastic difference to the overall result. Consider laying rectangular-shaped tiles diagonally to break the monotony and create a sense of movement and openness on your patio. Diagonal patterns can give the impression of a visually expanded space, making it feel more expansive and inviting.
- Create a focal point: By using tiles with contrasting hues, motifs or patterns you can create focal areas in your patio. For instance, think about adding a medallion or a mosaic-styled centrepiece that draws attention and creates a focal point in your space. Surround it with a regular layout of tiles to add a spotlight to the centrepiece.
- Contrasting Borders: To distinctly separate your patio space from the surrounding landscape, surround your patio with borders in contrasting colours and layouts. This might give the area a framed look and a more refined appearance. For instance, a French pattern flooring style will add up when framed with regular paving on the edges.
- Flexible Layouts: Consider using modular layouts that combine different tile sizes to form repeating patterns or captivating designs using irregular shapes stones. Consider outdoor tiles in French Pattern, a stunning layout that breaks the monotony of regular grid patterns. Another paving craze gaining ground across Australia right now is Crazy Paving which offers the flexibility to create your own unique look.
Embrace Colours and Play Up with Mix and Match
Outdoor tiles present countless options for designing a visually appealing and useful patio that reflects individual style. The variety of colours that are available can instantly brighten up and enhance the appearance of any patio space – traditional or contemporary. Don't be afraid to experiment with bold colours or mix various styles to achieve your dream look.
- Vibrant ambience: Consider using tiles in soft hues and elevate the look with vibrant décor or furnishings to infuse energy and personality into your patio. The benefit of choosing neutral colour tiles is that there is plenty of room to add colour using plants, cushions or accents. These colours can evoke a tropical or Mediterranean vibe, making your outdoor space feel like a vacation spot.
- Colour blocking: Create separate zones on your patio by using separate coloured tiles in specific areas. For example, you can have a seating area with warm-toned tiles and a dining area with cool-toned tiles, visually separating the spaces while maintaining a unified look and feel.
- Play with textures: Mix smooth and textured tiles or vibrant and pastel hues to create a dynamic contrast. This variation draws attention to the specific features that you wish to highlight and creates focal points to accentuate the space. This style can be tactfully used to enhance traction on the ground and heighten the safety elements of your space wherever required.
Consider Practicality and Safety: Build a Worry-Free Patio
While aesthetics matters a great deal, your patio design must also consider security and functionality. Safety should be a priority, especially when it comes to outside areas. Outdoor tiles made of natural stone materials are extremely robust and resistant to wear and tear because they are crafted to survive outdoor weather fluctuations. They can last for many years with only minimum maintenance when installed and maintained properly.
- Higher traction: Textured surfaces on outdoor tiles offer a strong grip while walking reducing the risk of slips and falls, in moisture-prone areas, even when the tiles are wet.
- Stain endurance: Most outdoor tiles are non-porous and easier to clean, preventing stains from setting in, and making them suitable for high-traffic areas and outdoor dining spaces.
- Weather resistance: Outdoor tiles are designed to endure rain, heat, frost and sun exposure. When maintained properly, they will retain their lustre, beauty and charm despite the elements.
- Easy Cleaning: Cleaning outdoor tiles is an easy-breezy task. Regular sweeping with a broom and occasional mopping with a mild detergent or a pH-neutral cleaner will keep your patio flooring looking fresh and vibrant.
- Slip-safe surfaces: Slip-safe surfaces are a crucial factor to consider for any outdoor flooring. Natural stone outdoor tiles are designed with textured surfaces and anti-slip finishes, ensuring safety for you and your guests and peace of mind during outdoor activities.
Bring Eco-friendly and Lasting Elegance to your Patio
Numerous outdoor tiles, particularly those made of organic materials like natural stone, prove to be an eco-friendly and long-lasting option for your patio.
- Renewable and Natural: Natural stones are sourced directly from the earth, making them renewable and biodegradable. They don’t involve any extensive processes making them a sustainable and safe choice for the planet.
- Long-Lasting Investment: The durability of outdoor tiles ensures that they will last for many years, reducing the need for frequent repairs and replacements and not contributing to reduced waste.
Highlight with Lighting
When combined with thoughtful lighting, a space can look its best. Your patio floors will really shine when you install lighting fixtures appropriately. You can create the desired look and varied moods with different lighting styles.
Focussed lighting: This kind of outdoor lighting focuses on the areas you wish to draw attention to such as a motif, a statement wall or a stylish piece of décor. It offers certain characteristics that create a warm lighting mood in the late evening or night.
Up lights: Install up lights to highlight beautiful intricate textures and patterns on vertical surfaces, such as walls or planters. They add a beautiful element by highlighting areas from different angles.
Pathway Lighting: Use pathway lighting to guide guests and draw attention to intricate tile patterns on the floor. These are used when your patio is connected to a garden or for a pathway leading to a patio.
Create a Seamless Transition
A patio is a beautiful extension of a house seamlessly connecting the indoor living areas and outdoor spaces. When choosing outdoor tiles for your patio, pick the ones that can help maintain uniformity while enhancing the overall look of your space.
- Optical Illusions: Go for large-format seamless outdoor tiles. Their sleek look and fewer visible grout lines can excellently create an optical illusion of a larger and spacious patio area.
- Even and Cohesive: To make your patio set-up look more cohesive and even, think about bringing the same colour tile used in your indoor flooring outside. This fades the differences between the indoor and outdoor living spaces of your home and offers a sense of a smooth and flowing transition.
Outdoor tiles have the potential to revamp to patio and re-energise your outdoor setting into a lovely and inviting space that you will love to spend time in. We at Stone Centre offer a massive range of outdoor floor tiles and wall tiles in numerous materials, colours, styles and textures, so you can easily discover the perfect outdoor tiles to fit your design requirements and match your unique lifestyle.
In addition to aesthetics, our range boasts resilience to outdoor elements, low upkeep and safety features making them a useful and long-lasting investment for your outdoor spaces. Bring home the beauty and functionality of outdoor tiles and let them infuse a new life into your patio - a place where loved ones come together, beautiful memories are made, and joy is shared all year round.
Whether you prefer a rustic charm, a modern-day cool vibe, or a multifarious mix of styles, our team of stone experts are here to guide your selection and help you choose the right material to bring your design vision of creating a stunning patio space to life. Don’t wait, reach out to us today to begin your transformation journey.
*Disclaimer: All information and advice given above in the blog are to the best of our knowledge. Please reconfirm at your end before execution.